So last night I went to watch Kaitlyn (the one on the right) play some volleyball and enjoyed every moment of it. This picture is from last year when her sister Julia played as well. Last night though Julia sat in the crowd as a fan vs playing. That is how this whole volleyball season has gone. Julia not there. That is difficult for me to swallow.
You see Julia has a huge dedication to 4-H and the coach disagrees with that dedication so at the beginning of the year she was on the fence if she should play volleyball or invest more time into her 4-H obligations as well as work to make some money.
After many hours pondering she made her choice...she was going to play!! I was happy because nothing made Doug and I more happy than to sit in the stands and see both our daughters play together!! But a phone call from the coach squashed that love of our quickly. She called Julia...and with no hesitation told her that "she has no place on the team anymore and might as well not go out for the season."......WHAT???!!??? Who says that????
Well...that of course changed Julia's mind. So after playing side by side with her sister since I believe it was 5th grade...she was not going to this season...her SENIOR year.
So last night as I watched Julia sitting in the bleachers...and Kaitlyn playing her best on the court...it saddened my heart. I know that it saddens me more than her...she is more in the bitter stage of it but still goes there to cheer her sister and her other friends on.
It is little stories like this in our lives that make me wonder what makes people the way they are...no remorse...no sincerity in their words. How does that happen? I try so very hard to always see the good in people...and God says to pray for those that actually anger you or you feel have done you wrong. I just am not there yet.
So I enjoyed my evening of watching Kaitlyn excel at her gifts...and remembered years gone by and accepted it for how it is but just questioned why.
Life is always making us wonder why things turn out the way they do and another reminder that we have to trust in God to know that this is the path these girls were meant to go down.
And....to top the evening off...at the end of the game...my Kaitlyn sought me out at the very top of the bleachers with a big smile and sweaty body...gave me a BIG hug and thanked me for being there! Now that is what life is about!!
That is too bad, Kim! I have heard that about the coach there; I know another girl who was forced to make a similar choice last year. I really hate when school employees have an inflated view of the importance of their activity--and when they decide FOR SOMEONE ELSE whether or not they think the student can handle being involved in something besides "their" sport. BAH.
ReplyDeleteI do like thinking of Kaitlyn coming to give you a big sweaty hug, though!
THanks for nice words Melissa!! I appreciate your wisdom sooo much...truly...every post I make I hope to see a comment from you. Sound silly? Just that sometimes its just hearing from another helps put that pep back in ones step!! thanks again!!
ReplyDelete